EDM is the abbreviation of the English word Electrical Discharge Machining, which is EDM stone industry. The graphite industry uses the graphite conductivity to make the EDM mold for the electrical discharge machining.
EDM is the fourth most popular processing method after turning, grinding and milling. Compared with traditional copper electrodes, EDM uses isostatically pressed graphite as an advantage:
1. The price of the same volume of graphite is only 25% of the copper electrode.
2. The processing speed of graphite is 3-5 times of the processing speed of copper electrode, and the processing surface is smooth.
3. High processing precision and easy polishing.
4. The body density of graphite is only 1/5 of that of copper electrode, which is more suitable for making large electrodes.
5. When used as an electrode for EDM, the consumption is only 1/3-1/5 of the copper electrode, and the spark oil decomposes the carbide coating to compensate for the electrode wear.